Comments about Lovelace

The following are email comments about Lovelace. If you're curious what other people are saying about Lovelace, here's your answer. I've shortened these messages, in particular I've:

Enjoy.

From vanscoy@cs.wvu.edu Fri Jan 20 18:12:50 1995

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 18:10:15 -0500 From: Frances L VanScoy <vanscoy@cs.wvu.edu> Message-Id: <199501202310.AA22193@cs.wvu.edu> To: wheeler@cs.ida.org Subject: nice tutorial! Cc: vanscoy@cs.wvu.edu I was browsing The Home of the Brave Ada Programmers page this evening and found the new Ada 95 tutorial and noticed it was yours! Congratulations! It looks good! Frances

From guerby@enstb.enst-bretagne.fr Sat Jan 21 09:36:59 1995

Message-Id: <9501211435.AA06873@ouessant.enst-bretagne.fr> Subject: Lovelace Tutorial To: wheeler@ida.org Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 15:35:13 +0100 (MET) Cc: guerby@enstb.enst-bretagne.fr (Laurent Guerby) Hi, This tutorial is very interesting. ... Laurent Guerby. Laurent Guerby / Dominique le Campion / Alain Le Guennec / Denis Wallez guerby@ lecampio@ leguenne@ wallez@ enstb.enst-bretagne.fr | students at Telecom Bretagne Try GNAT and Ada 95 ! | 29285 BREST (France) GATO project http://nebuleuse.enst-bretagne.fr/~guerby/Ada/

From hook@csed-120.csed.ida.org Mon Jan 23 07:44:35 1995

From: hook@csed-120.csed.ida.org (Audrey Hook) Message-Id: <9501231243.AA24620@csed-120.csed.ida.org> Subject: Re: FYI - Ada 95 tutorial (Lovelace) To: wheeler@oids-3.csed.ida.org (David Wheeler) Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 07:43:32 -0500 (EST) Good work. Thanks Audrey

From conn@lear.mitre.org Mon Jan 23 10:32:06 1995

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 10:29:44 EST From: conn@lear.mitre.org (Richard L. Conn) Message-Id: <9501231529.AA02518@lear.mitre.org> To: wheeler@cs.ida.org Subject: Lovelace tutorial Dave, Your Lovelace tutorial looks really nice. ... Thanks for the good work, Rick

From drm@hpnmds0.sr.hp.com Mon Jan 23 18:42:32 1995

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 15:41:18 -0800 From: Dan McLaughlin <drm@hpnmds0.sr.hp.com> Message-Id: <9501232341.AA05904@hpnmds0.sr.hp.com> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Dave, Great tutorial! I'd be glad to add a few sections. Let me know what you would like me to do. -Dan -- Member Team Ada -- Dan McLaughlin -- drm@sr.hp.com (707) 577-5676 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From cmarqui%dorado@relay.nswc.navy.mil Tue Jan 24 12:12:20 1995

Message-Id: <9501241711.AA12543@relay.nswc.navy.mil> To: wheeler@cs.ida.org Subject: RE: Lovelace Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 12:12:08 -0500 From: Cheryl Marquis <cmarqui%dorado@relay.nswc.navy.mil> David: First, very nice tutorial (even though I just skimmed it - got a few questions right, though :> )! ... Just thought you might want to know. Cheryl

From arra@dsd.camb.inmet.com Wed Jan 25 08:26:32 1995

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 08:25:18 EST From: arra@dsd.camb.inmet.com (Arra Avakian) Message-Id: <9501251325.AA08130@dsd.camb.inmet.com> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace - Master Outline ref to Lesson 7 David, Congratulations on your on-line tutorial. ... Arra

From aragen@cs.montana.edu Wed Jan 25 20:38:02 1995

From: Adina Ragenovich <aragen@fubar.cs.montana.edu> To: wheeler@cs.ida.org Subject: Lovelace tutorial Message-Id: <Pine.OSF.3.91.950125181155.23614A-100000@fubar.cs.montana.edu> Dear Mr. Wheeler; I have just taken the Lovelace Ada tutorial. I thought it was very informative and easy to understand. Thank you for providing it through the WWW. ... Sincerely, Adina Ragenovich

From mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu Tue Jan 31 17:51:55 1995

From: Michael Feldman <mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu> Message-Id: <199501312250.RAA16801@felix.seas.gwu.edu> Subject: Re: Interested in expanding an Ada tutorial (Lovelace)? To: wheeler@cs.ida.org (David Wheeler) Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 17:50:42 -0500 (EST) Cc: Team-Ada@ACM.ORG ... This looks like a very nice start! I wandered around it a bit using Lynx, as I'm at home and don't have PPP. As far as it goes, it's very nice. ... I will get around to working some on Lovelace, too, but for the next few weeks I am absolutely up to my ears. Good work! Mike Feldman

From hunts@sunrans.cern.ch Fri Feb 3 11:05:08 1995

From: hunts@sunrans.cern.ch (Stephen Hunt) Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 17:03:53 +0100 Message-Id: <9502031603.AA29626@sunran4.cern.ch> To: wheeler@cs.ida.org Subject: Ada Tutorial - 3.1 Hi, I am working through the tutorial you have provided for Ada, and find it very useful. I notice that in the Quiz of section 3.1 (Identifiers), you have a question involving underlines. As Netscape (browser I am using) underlines links, it is impossible to distinguish underlined from non-underlined. I don't know if you were aware of this. Cheers, Stephen.

From hunts@sunrans.cern.ch Fri Feb 3 12:50:41 1995

From: hunts@sunrans.cern.ch (Stephen Hunt) Received: by sunran4.cern.ch (4.1/client-1.5) id AA00611; Fri, 3 Feb 95 18:49:27 +0100 Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 18:49:27 +0100 Message-Id: <9502031749.AA00611@sunran4.cern.ch> To: wheeler@cs.ida.org Subject: Lovelace Hi, I have finished the Lovelace course, so here is some feedback. Overall I fond it a very useful introduction to the language. I have some knowledge of other programming languages, and Lovelace has provided useful in learning (some of) Ada. More specific comments: ... (various bugs) I have some background in OO (MODSIM II) so was able easily to transfer my ideas from there to your Ada examples and text in section 7. I am not sure how easily non-OO people would react to these, but I notice in the 'to-do' that you mention this. Again, I found it very useful and good luck with adding further tutorial sessions. Cheers, Stephen.

From dsmith@clark.net Wed Feb 8 14:13:43 1995

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 14:20:25 -0500 To: wheeler@cs.ida.org (David Wheeler) From: dsmith@clark.net (Doug Smith) Subject: Re: Comments on a brief OO intro? Hey David, This looks good. A couple of grammatical corrections and a quibble noted below... I especially like the text in the responses to the questions. Nice touch. Doug ...

From mprice@RBSE.Mountain.Net Fri Feb 17 14:49:29 1995

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 14:39:22 -0500 (EST) From: Margie Price <mprice@RBSE.Mountain.Net> Subject: Mklesson is in ELSA To: David Wheeler <wheeler@ida.org> > Mklesson is a free tutorial generation program which simplifies > creating online tutorials for the World Wide Web (WWW). It looks good. I've just included Mklesson in collections: "Education" and "WWW Information and Utilization" I saw the link for The Tutorial Gateway (Carleton University) in the User Guide, so I'll include that too. Thank you, Margie

From scott_ankrum@VNET.IBM.COM Mon Feb 20 10:44:52 1995

Message-Id: <9502201541.AA0114@ankrums.asd.bet.ibm.com> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 95 10:13:31 EST From: "T. Scott Ankrum" <scott_ankrum@VNET.IBM.COM> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Tutorial I just finished going through your Lovelace Ada tutorial and am sending you comments. Ada is not needed for my job. I am taking a programming languages course at American Univ. and our project requires us to learn two new languages. I spread the tutorial over three days. Two weeks ago I knew nothing about Ada, but I have been reading a small text and lightly browsing the Ada 9X reference. Your tutorial is very easy, possibly too easy. I doubt that anyone could write even a simple program with only Lovelace as his/her background. I am writing a small program using the GNAT compiler from NYU and I am having a lot of trouble understanding supplied packages. Lovelace helped me understand what a package is and how to write my own small package. What I am missing is an understanding of supplied packages. As a new Ada programmer, I need to know what I/O packages every Ada compiler should provide and how do I find what a particular compiler is supplying. (For GNAT, I am told I should be browsing ????.ads files.) In particular, I had trouble locating floating point I/O. Noone should expect to learn very much of a language from an on-line tutorial, especially a free one. One should expect to be able to write some simple (but more complex than "Hello World") programs to get started. Please try take these comments in the best possible light. I was very pleased to find an Ada tutorial on the WWW and I got a lot out of it. I am just trying to gave back a little with some (hopefully) constructive comments. In summary, my two suggestions are: 1. Make the unit quizzes harder. 2. Add a unit that talks about using supplied packages. T. Scott Ankrum -- IBM, Software Solutions Division, Bethesda Phone: (301)-803-1990 FAX: (301)-803-2377 Inter-Enterprise: USIB1JKV at IBMMAIL Internet: scott_ankrum@vnet.ibm.com |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound | | and fury, signifying nothing." Shakespeare | |___________________________________________________________| [Note that since this comment, Lovelace has more than doubled in size, including a section on input/output.] From: Lee Oades <lro93@ecs.soton.ac.uk> Message-Id: <19181.9502221430@marlowe.ecs.soton.ac.uk> Subject: Re: Lovelace To: wheeler@ida.org (David Wheeler) Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 14:30:11 +0000 (GMT) David, Thanks for the reply about Lovelace. ... By the way, I think that this is a very good way to learn to use Ada. O can not only go at my own pace, but can do it when I feel like it. I'm now on section 7 and the last many sections have been really good, clear explanations, good examples and the quiz to make sure you're understanding. Well done. Are you constantly updating it, adding new pages? Cheers, Lee.

From Hyoseob.Kim@durham.ac.uk Fri Feb 24 18:37:59 1995

Return-Path: <Hyoseob.Kim@durham.ac.uk> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 20:04:56 +0000 (GMT) From: Hyoseob Kim <Hyoseob.Kim@durham.ac.uk> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: about misprint in 'Lovelace' Message-Id: <Pine.SUN.3.91-941213.950224195551.26517A-100000@easby.dur.ac.uk> ... By the way, your Lovelace is giving me [a] valuable knowledge on [the] Ada language. Thank you for that! from Hyoseob Kim at University of Durham in England

From Hyoseob.Kim@durham.ac.uk Mon Feb 27 06:15:43 1995

Return-Path: <Hyoseob.Kim@durham.ac.uk> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 10:41:42 +0000 (GMT) From: Hyoseob Kim <Hyoseob.Kim@durham.ac.uk> To: David Wheeler <wheeler@cs.ida.org> Subject: Re: about misprint in 'Lovelace' Message-Id: <Pine.SUN.3.91-941213.950227102815.1043A-100000@easby.dur.ac.uk> ... Anyway, I must thank you for your effort to provide that nice Ada Tutor. I really enjoyed it. What a great 'electronical distance learning'(?) it was! I hope it is expanded and enhanced soon. from Hyoseob Kim in the United Kingdom

From jgb@ordago.uc3m.es Mon Feb 27 04:22:11 1995

Return-Path: <jgb@ordago.uc3m.es> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 10:19:41 +0100 From: "Jesus M. Gonzalez" <jgb@ordago.uc3m.es> Message-Id: <199502270919.KAA23271@ordago.uc3m.es> Subject: Ada tutorial. To: wheeler@cs.ida.org Hi! I've seen your HTML tutorial on Ada, and it's very impressive. I'd like to know if we can use it as the grounds for an Spanish tutorial on Ada9X we are going to write. We plan to use it for helping our students, and make it freely available from our WWW server. ... Jesus. PS: And congratulations for your work on the tutorial. -- Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona | Universidad Carlos III (Madrid, Spain) tel: +34 1 624 94 58 | e-mail: jgb@inf.uc3m.es fax: +34 1 624 94 30 | jgb@ordago.uc3m.es (Sometimes our headers are not o.k., please reply to any of this addresses) .From within Universidad Carlos III, you can better use jgb@ordago.uc3m.es

From andreas%traci@mail.swip.net Sun Mar 5 16:24:15 1995

Message-Id: <m0rlNg5-000H4OC@traci.almroth.pp.se> From: andreas@traci.almroth.pp.se (Andreas Almroth) Subject: Lovelace Ada Tutorial To: wheeler@ida.org Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 22:17:24 +0100 (GMT+0100) Hi David! First, many thanks for your tutorial! I'm new to Ada, and I've tried to learn the language the last couple of weeks. Your tutorial gave me a "kick" to learn more about the language. I've finished the seven chapters, and I'm hungry for more... :) Well, you mentioned at the end that someone wanted to translate the tutorial into French, I'm interested in translating it into Swedish. I see this as a very good chance for me to learn more about Ada. I've a book written by Jan Skansholm in swedish, I belive the book has an english counterpart too. The title is (freely translated from swedish) "Ada from the beginning - with the Ada 9X standard". I guess you have heard of it, or even read it... Well, I thought of using it when translating your tutorial into swedish. This gives me a reason to read the book too... Well, if you think the world is interested in my project, please email me about it, and I'll start as soon as possible. Yours, Andreas Almroth

From jab@netrix.com Mon Mar 6 10:43:21 1995

Message-Id: <9503061541.AA14756@netrixgw> From: "James A. Babcock" <jab@netrix.com> Date: Mon, 06 Mar 95 10:38:20 -500 David- I have just completed the Lovelace Tutorial using Netscape. I am currently using Ada in a class that I am taking at George Mason University. Your tutorial helped reenforce my learning. Thanks for making this information available. -Jim. (Netrix Corporation, jab@netrix.com)

From conn@moncol.monmouth.edu Wed Mar 8 01:53:11 1995

From: conn@moncol.monmouth.edu (Prof R Conn) Message-Id: <9503080653.AA16417@moncol.monmouth.edu> Subject: Re: How do I submit a product to the PAL? To: wheeler@cs.ida.org (David Wheeler) Date: Wed, 8 Mar 95 1:53:15 EST Cc: conn@moncol.monmouth.edu (Prof R Conn) Hi, Dave, I've seen Lovelace on the Web. Nice job! Thanks for offering it to the PAL. ...

From mccall@hac2arpa.hac.com Wed Mar 8 18:20:16 1995

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 95 15:18:18 PST From: mccall@hac2arpa.hac.com (Michael J. McCall) Message-Id: <9503082318.AA10493@hac2arpa.hac.com> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace I finished your tutorial and it is a very helpful start to Ada. I am going to take an Ada class starting on two weeks. I look forward to your new lessons. I did get a little lost, though, in lesson 7.4................Mike McCall HITC [That section has been changed]

From djc108@unix.york.ac.uk Thu Mar 9 19:03:11 1995

Return-Path: <djc108@unix.york.ac.uk> Message-Id: <199503100000.AAA13442@sgi14.york.ac.uk> From: David Culledge <djc108@unix.york.ac.uk> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 00:00:52 000 Sender: djc108@unix.york.ac.uk To: wheeler@org.ida.cs I have completed Lovelace. Thanks it was very useful, although no questions were asked about arrays which are fairly hard to comprehend for a beginner.

From ct_orega@ECE.concordia.CA Sun Mar 26 23:24:02 1995

Return-Path: <ct_orega@ECE.concordia.CA> To: wheeler@ida.org X-Personal_Name: Chris O'Regan Subject: Ada Tutorial Date: Sun, 26 Mar 1995 23:20:14 -0500 Sender: ct_orega@ECE.concordia.CA Message-Id: <9503270419.aa25078@ece.ECE.concordia.CA> Hello, I just completed your tutorial. Very good! :-) I knew most of the material up until the OO programming, but it was a nice review. I hope you don't mind...I told my Real-Time Systems' professor about your tutorial. He had to teach Ada at the beginning of the semester and felt as though it cut into the course. Perhaps he will have his next class go through your tutorial instead. :-) One small thing, though...since many schools might still be using an Ada83 compiler (we are, however I convinced my system administrator to install GNAT for my project) perhaps you could cover a little more on those features. At any rate, it is fine tutorial for beginners and a good review for an intermediate. Take Care! Chris O'Regan Computer Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada.

From matomira@lig.di.epfl.ch Mon Mar 27 04:46:37 1995

Return-Path: <matomira@lig.di.epfl.ch> Message-Id: <m0rtBM3-0000pjC@ligsg10.epfl.ch> Sender: matomira@lig.di.epfl.ch (Fernando D. Mato Mira) From: "Fernando D. Mato Mira" <matomira@lig.di.epfl.ch> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 95 11:44:59 200 Sender: matomira@lig.di.epfl.ch To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Hi, I've completed your Ada tutorial. I hope there was more. With regards to OO programming, it would be good to show how to `call super' in methods. Also, it is not clear how procedure Foo(X : Bar'Class) interacts with procedure Foo(X : Bar) or methods for subclasses of Bar. Also, you don't state the possibility of dispatching on the type of more than one argument, like in Common Lisp. Finally, how to simulate multiple inheritance in Ada. Regards,

From [Name Witheld Upon Request] Fri Mar 31 11:18:02 1995

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 17:43:06 +0100 From: CHOWDHUR <abs.chowdhury@bbsrc.ac.uk> Message-Id: <5226421631031995/A11709/RESA/1193FC192E00*@MHS> To: wheeler@ida.org (Non Receipt Notification Requested) (IPM Return Requested) Subject: ADA Tutorial David, This is just a quick message in reponse to using the Ada tutorial on the Internet. I'm currently studying for a BSC (Hons) p/t in a Computer Science course CSP1, at Hatfield University which is now covering ADA. I'm not really a programmer so your notes, in comparison to my tutor's are proving to be more understandable. As I have just started on Ada there isn't really too much I can add, except that the tutorial was very useful. I will be passing the WWW Ada address on to my other Uni. friends as I'm sure that they WILL find it very useful too. Thank-you for the time and effort in writing this.

From roland@haendel.ida.org Mon Apr 3 07:46:25 1995

Message-Id: <9504031142.AA00832@haendel.informatik.rwth-aachen.de> Date: Mon, 03 Apr 95 13:42:32 0200 Sender: roland@haendel.ida.org From: Roland Baumann <roland@haendel.ida.org> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Completed Lovelace Tutorial Dear Mr. Wheeler, just a few minutes ago I finished your Ada 95 tutorial. Since I already was familiar with Ada 83 it did not offer much new to me, except of course the last section about object orientation. Nonetheless I enjoyed answering the questions since I was always right :-) While doing this tutorial I always had the impression that you created it especially for C/C++ programmers unfamiliar with any typical features of languages from the Pascal family, what certainly does not apply to me. I look forward to see and run the next sections of the tutorial as soon as you finish them. Sincerly, -- \ Roland Baumann Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik III / \\ Tel.: ++49/241/80 21315 RWTH Aachen // \\\ Fax.: ++49/241/8888 218 Ahornstr. 55 /// \\\\ roland@i3.informatik.rwth-aachen.de 52074 Aachen, Germany ////

From williams@plaice.dra.hmg.gb Mon Apr 3 10:48:38 1995

Message-Id: <9504031447.AA11835@plaice.fish-farm> From: Nigel Williams <williams@plaice.dra.hmg.gb> Date: Mon, 03 Apr 95 15:47:58 100 Sender: williams@plaice.dra.hmg.gb To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace I have just completed the WWW based tutorial. I found it very well presented...well done.

From LisaMae5@aol.com Wed Apr 5 08:37:07 1995

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:35:30 -0400 From: LisaMae5@aol.com Message-Id: <950405083529_72459867@aol.com> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace/tutorial Status: R Mr. Wheeler, In the past I have taken a couple of beginner programming courses and enjoyed them. My husband, a software engineer for Lockheed Martin, is now teaching me programming at a more advanced level. His language of choice is Ada, and so I have been using that while studying programming with a Pascal book: . My husband is a good teacher, and the authors have done a nice job of explaining themselves, but I think your tutorial has helped me the most. I thoroughly enjoyed your writing style. I also found your explanations of Object Oriented programming easier to understand than the text I have been using. What I appreciated most was the small, uncomplicated sample programs you used. So many books use examples that are three pages long and try to incorporated three or four new ideas. Thank you for this tutorial, and I look forward to your next. Lisa Mae Bronkema

From pdietert@site.gmu.edu Thu Apr 6 12:19:38 1995

Return-Path: <pdietert@site.gmu.edu> Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 12:17:55 +0500 Message-Id: <9504061617.AA15140@site.gmu.edu> To: wheeler@ida.org X-Personal_Name: Pete Dietert Subject: Ada Tutorial I have just completed the Ada tutorial and found it quite useful. I am a post-grad student at George Mason University in Fairfax Virginia who has just been introduced to Ada through a Software Construction course which uses Ada examples. I had to learn basic Ada in a few weeks using Koffman's book and used your tutorial ^Learned Basic Ada.. as a review of what I just learned. So it serves up to that level quite well. Thank you for your effort in preparing it. NOw on to tasks...

From joe_norman@[192.135.193.108] Mon Apr 10 16:16:57 1995

Return-Path: <joe_norman@[192.135.193.108]> From: Joe Norman <joe_norman@[192.135.193.108]> Date: Mon, 10 Apr 95 16:16:48 -400 To: wheeler@ida.org Completed the Lovelace tutorial. Thanks for putting it together. Joe

From ckuppler@explorer.csc.com Wed Apr 12 14:13:10 1995

Message-Id: <m0rz6sz-000iGEC@csc.com> From: Curtis Kuppler <ckuppler@explorer.csc.com> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 95 13:11:30 -700 To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Explorer I downloaded the local version. It looks pretty good. Everything I noted that was missing was already mentioned in your 'to do' list. Keep up the good work.

From saf@sta.ida.org Wed Apr 19 06:01:23 1995

Return-Path: <saf@sta.ida.org> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 95 11:59:27 +0200 From: saf@sta.ida.org (Faruk Safi #401) Message-Id: <9504190959.AA24208@sta.eurocontrol.de> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Ada Lovelace Lessons Status: R Mr Wheeler, I've just finished your lessons. I appreciate your effort very much. It was a very useful course for me as a beginner. H. Faruk Safi Eurocontrol SDK, Karlsruhe-Germany e-mail:saf@sta.eurocontrol.de

From trom@plains.nodak.edu Thu Apr 20 15:20:59 1995

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 14:18:59 -0500 Message-Id: <199504201918.OAA29461@plains.nodak.edu> To: wheeler@ida.org X-Mailer: Lynx, Version 2.3.7 BETA X-Personal_Name: Andrew Trom From: trom@plains.NoDak.edu Subject: Lovelace As a relative "newbie" to the internet, it was nice to have something so simple rather than have to download and convert etc. It's also much easier to understand and get a solid handle on ada than trudging through the LRM.

From fintan@vax.sbu.ac.uk Fri Apr 21 04:40:26 1995

Return-Path: <fintan@vax.sbu.ac.uk> From: fintan@vax.sbu.ac.uk Message-Id: <9504210838.AA25522@ida.org> Date: Fri, Apr 21, 1995 9:42 am Reply-To: "Fintan Culwin" <fintan@vax.sbu.ac.uk> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Ada tutorial .... Hi I have just been directed to have a look at your Lovelace Project ... nice work! I am working on a similar project, but my concern is as much with providing SE tools over the Web as with presenting information regarding Ada. Also I am concerned with initial software development education rather than conversion as such. As such I think out projects are complementary rather than needless duplication of each other. .... regards fintan _____________________________________________________________ Fintan Culwin PhD Senior Lecturer Software Engineering School of Computing South Bank University Borough Road London SE1 0AA Phone (+44) (0)171 815 7434 Fax (+44) (0)171 815 7499 fintan@vax.sbu.ac.uk

From sjl191@ecs.southampton.ac.uk Tue May 2 15:19:29 1995

Return-Path: <sjl191@ecs.southampton.ac.uk> Message-Id: <11457.9505021917@bright.ecs.soton.ac.uk> From: "S.J.Liddington" <sjl191@ecs.soton.ac.uk> Date: Tue, 02 May 95 20:16:20 100 To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Tutorial Thank you for this tutorial, it probably saved me a bit of time reading books! ... Simon Liddington

From spiegel@bruessel.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de Mon May 15 08:58:45 1995

From: Andre Spiegel <spiegel@bruessel.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 14:56:24 +0200 Message-Id: <199505151256.OAA08999@berlin.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Thanks a lot for Lovelace. Being probably a rather experienced Ada programmer, I still find it useful for getting to know the "95" features better. In fact, I've also recommended Lovelace to (potential) Ada newbies already. ... -- Andre Spiegel Software Engineering Dept. University of Stuttgart, Germany

From calderon@cs.hope.edu Thu Jun 1 12:39:59 1995

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 12:38:19 -0400 From: calderon@cs.hope.edu (Manuel Calderon) Message-Id: <9506011638.AA25765@oin.cs.hope.edu> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: I finished Lovelace X-Sun-Charset: US-ASCII Hi, my Name is Manuel Calderon. I'm temporarily at Hope College in Holland, Michigan. My home e-mail address (in El Paso, Tx.) is: calderon@cs.utep.edu I give you the address so that if you want to answer or something. I found your tutorial to be very helpful. I have to learn Ada 95 in less than a week, more like 3 days, and your tutorial will be my main guide. Thanks. ... Well, Thanks for the tutorials, and I will recommend you for the Best-of-Wed/Educational Service Award. Bay, Manuel

From tjerick@ibm.net Mon Jun 5 23:50:24 1995

Message-Id: <9506060449.AA0033@slip165-146.on.ca.ibm.net> Date: Mon, 05 Jun 95 21:36:22 +0800 From: tjerick@ibm.net To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Dear David; I would like to complement you on the Lovelace package. I thought it was very well done and will have a permanent home on my machine. I admit until I downloaded the GNAT package and gave it a try I thought Ada was a difficult language. A former CS tutor of mine's opinion. {;>) Learning Ada is something I am looking forward to this year! ... Tim Erickson tjerick@ibm.net //-------------------------------------------------------------------------- // Remember...no news is good news // Caio for naio.

From mansueto@iastate.edu Mon Jun 12 19:12:26 1995

Message-Id: <9506122310.AA28368@du248-13.cc.iastate.edu> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace tutorial Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 18:10:17 CDT From: Edward S Mansueto <mansueto@iastate.edu> First, I'd like to say that your Ada tutorial, Lovelace, is very good (I'm about to start lesson 10). ... At the risk of being redundant I'd like to say Thank You for the effort you put into Lovelace. I certainly appreciate it and it is doing a fine job of increasing my interest in Ada 95. (Now if I could just find a bit more time!) Thanks, Ted Mansueto From: veressg@cortex.dote.hu (Veress Gabor) To: wheeler@ida.org Dear David, ... Tenx Gab ps the Ada lessons are great!

From mansueto@iastate.edu Thu Jun 22 19:59:17 1995

Return-Path: <mansueto@iastate.edu> Message-Id: <9506222357.AA10355@du248-08.cc.iastate.edu> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Finished LOVELACE Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 18:57:30 CDT From: Edward S Mansueto <mansueto@iastate.edu> I finished LOVELACE about a week ago. It has left a good impression on me, the same good impression I had when I sent the e-mail two (?) weeks ago... I have more detailed feedback for you but I think that you should be aware that it comes from the perspective of a novice programmer ... I don't know what kind of people you were aiming for in LOVELACE, but I think it does an outstanding job of nurturing the interest of someone who is truly interested in Ada 95. I noticed that you described it as a whirlwind tour. I think that is true, but it was a whirlwind tour with many opportunities for brief reflection and with directions for detailed inquiries. Specifically, I think that the quizzes with comments for both the right and the wrong answers really helps a novice, like me, to get some sense of progress. Of course, more can be learned by working through full blown exercises but I think it might break the momentum of someone who is curious about Ada 95 in a self-motivated way. I also thought it was a good idea to include pointers to other sources of information about Ada. Additionally, I did take a glance at your strawman list of things to-do and am particularly intrigued by your idea of "dynamically" building a program within the tutorial. I do intend to nominate it for an educational Best of the Web, just as soon as that is possible! I feel that I have gotten something out of LOVELACE and would like to contribute something in order to show my appreciation. I looked at the Team Ada FAQ sheet, but I'm afraid that I'm not really in a position to do much help. About all that I can do is provide feedback of a simple nature. And congratulations to you and your wife about your baby daughter. Take care. Ted Mansueto mansueto@iastate.edu

From crpatton@ingr.com Fri Jun 23 09:40:20 1995

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 08:40:47 -0500 Message-Id: <199506231340.AA02592@b15.b15.ingr.com> From: crpatton@ingr.com (Chip Patton) To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Ada Tutorial I just completed your Lovelace Ada Tutorial. I thought it was very well done. I've had minimal exposure to Ada in the past, but expect to get more involved now with Ada95 out and the mandate being more rigorously enforced. The lessons are broken up and ordered very well. I could do a couple of lessons each morning before getting on to my other work. The sections of each lesson are small enough that even if I got interrupted in the middle of a lesson it was only a short distance back to recover at a logical break. I especially liked the end-of-section quizzes. They tended to ensure that I absorbed what I'd read and hadn't just scanned it without engaging my brain (something that's easy to do when reading long technical documents). Even the sections with simple questions kept me awake, so here's an area for improvement: Add a Quiz to the sections that don't have them, even if it's just a regurgitation of what was presented a couple of paragraphs above. The only chance for improvement was that there were a few typos, these seemed to be more prevalent in the last few lessons -- in particular there are some missing or extra articles or connecting words. I think "prefin" is used someplace that should be "predefin". None of the typos obscured the meaning of the text. The hypertext links are also a good inclusion, I only followed a few but may come back for some more in the future. I have recommended this tutorial to my colleagues. Thanks for offering this resource. -- Chip Patton crpatton@ingr.com From: crpatton@ingr.com (Chip Patton) To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: A few typos located Status: RO David, Here's some of those typo's, the number in ()'s is the paragraph number in the section, at least the way I counted. Hope this is helpful; these are VERY MINOR flaws in an excellent tutorial. ...

From bond@greatwall.cctt.com Wed Jul 5 07:38:11 1995

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 07:41:19 -0400 From: bond@greatwall.cctt.com Message-Id: <9507051141.AA63365@pobox.idt.orlando.ibm.com> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Completed your Lovelace Ada tutorial Hi David! I just completed your Lovelace Ada Tutorial. I took it for two reasons: 1) I am using Ada again, and haven't used it for a couple years 2) Though I did/do know Ada, I don't yet know Ada 95. (While we are using Ada 83, I want to try to assure I don't use identifiers or similarly cause a transition problem when moving to Ada 95.) I think it's a very good job! Keep up the great work! Barry Barry L. Bond (Software Engineer) | SAIC bond@greatwall.cctt.com <-- work | 3045 Technology Parkway barryb@bilver.oau.org <-- personal | Orlando, FL 32826-3299 72235,1530 (CIS) <-- personal | (407) 823-7345, Ext. 549

From SEROCK@gss1.mdso.vf.ge.com Fri Jul 7 13:05:36 1995

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 13:02:30 -0400 (EDT) To: wheeler@ida.org Message-Id: <950707130230.2320211a@gss1.mdso.vf.ge.com> Subject: Mistake in Lovelace 4.2 Tutorial, Section 4.3 Hi David, I like your Ada95 tutorial ... nice job.

From ingkl900@ccmail.ca.boeing.com Wed Jul 12 19:05:49 1995

Message-Id: <9507122306.AA22555@atc.boeing.com> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 23:10:40 0700 From: Kevin Ingalls <ingkl900@ccmail.ca.boeing.com> Organization: Boeing Defense & Space Group Training X-Mailer: Mozilla 1.1N (Macintosh; I; PPC) Mime-Version: 1.0 To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Ada95 Lovelace Tutorial X-Url: http://www.adahome.com/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace/s18-1.html Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii I just finished your Lovelace tutor. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Thanks for a job well done. Kevin.

From khover@solar.den.mmc.com Mon Jul 17 13:56:01 1995

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 11:54:16 MDT From: Karen Hover <khover@solar.den.mmc.com> Message-Id: <9507171754.AA03033@solar.den.mmc.com> To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Tutorial Status: R David, I just have to thank you for the great work you've done with the online Ada Tutorial. I am working on a project here at Lockheed Martin Astronautics which requires the use of Ada95, and your tutorial has been a wonderful aid to me. I almost always have a NetScape or Mosaic window up with the place in the Tutorial currently applicable to my work. (I do the same with the online LRM). Anyway, I thought you deserved an attaboy....thanks again! Karen ------------------------------------------------------ Karen E. Hover khover@den.mmc.com Lockheed Martin Astronautics Reusable Software Architecture for Spacecraft (RSAS) Denver CO 80201 303-971-6787 (FAX) 303-971-7227 ------------------------------------------------------

From sally.mahoney@CEIM-P.hq01.usace.army.mil

Message-Id: <41 0725115900-0> Date: 25 Jul 95 11:59:00 -0500 From: sally.mahoney@CEIM-P.hq01.usace.army.mil To: wheeler@ida.org (Receipt notification requested) Subject: Completion of Lovelace Tutorial I have completed the Ada Lovelace Tutorial. I found it to be an good quick overview of the language. My internet address is sally.mahoney@usace.army.mil

From timesink.spk.wa.us!kew@tau-ceti.isc-br.com Sat Aug 5 22:52:04 1995

Sender: tau-ceti!timesink.spk.wa.us!kew Message-Id: <199508060217.TAA01325@timesink.spk.wa.us> Date: Sat, 05 Aug 95 19:17:39 -0700 Sender: kew@timesink.spk.wa.us From: Keith Walker <kew@timesink.spk.wa.us> Organization: NATCA X-Mailer: Mozilla 1.1N (X11; I; FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE i386) Mime-Version: 1.0 To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: I finished your tutorial! X-Url: file:/home/kew/lovelace/s18-1.html Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Ok, here's the request you made. I actually liked the tutorial, it gave me a lot of information. I hope that you continue to develop it, maybe even having the tutorial develop a semi-real application so that concepts could be more easily absorbed. Also, consider adding sections like "Ada for C programmers" and "Ada for Pascal Programmers", too. Thanks again. -- Keith Walker kew@timesink.spk.wa.us Spokane, Washington, USA FreeBSD 2.0.5

From geoff@mccabe.com Mon Aug 7 14:42:15 1995

Message-Id: <199508071843.OAA06792@bart.mccabe.com> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 95 14:43:56 -0400 Sender: geoff@mccabe.com From: "Geoffrey L. Matrangola" <geoff@mccabe.com> Organization: McCabe and Associates Inc. X-Mailer: Mozilla 1.1N (X11; I; SunOS 4.1.3 sun4c) Mime-Version: 1.0 To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Completed Lovelace X-Url: http://www.adahome.com/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace/s18-1.html I just wanted to tell you that I finished going through the Lovelace Tutorial and found it to be quite useful. Thank you, Geoff

From sa021pl@unidui.uni-duisburg.de Thu Aug 17 03:53:20 1995

Return-Path: <sa021pl@unidui.uni-duisburg.de> From: sa021pl@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Joerg Pleumann) To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 22:49:18 -0400 Message-Id: <u4qMwYkkugEP084yn@unidui.uni-duisburg.de> Lines: 9 Hello, I've just finished reading your Lovelace ADA tutorial. It gave me a good and quick overview on the language. It was easy to read, and I think you made good use of interactive and presentation features of HTML. Great work! [ and all that for free :-) ] Bye, Joerg

From raewyn@elwing.otago.ac.nz Sat Aug 19 23:06:08 1995

Return-Path: <raewyn@elwing.otago.ac.nz> Received: from ida.org (cs.ida.org) by aphrodite.csed.ida.org (4.1/SMI-4.1) id AA10684; Sat, 19 Aug 95 23:06:08 EDT Received: from elwing.otago.ac.nz by ida.org (4.1/SMI-4.1) id AA14975; Sat, 19 Aug 95 23:04:17 EDT Received: from celebrian.otago.ac.nz (celebrian.otago.ac.nz [139.80.64.64]) by elwing.otago.ac.nz (8.6.10/8.6.9) with SMTP id PAA06106 for <wheeler@ida.org>; Sun, 20 Aug 1995 15:12:07 +1200 Message-Id: <199508200312.PAA06106@elwing.otago.ac.nz> Date: Sun, 20 Aug 95 15:04:09 1200 Sender: root@elwing.otago.ac.nz From: Raewyn Ferguson <raewyn@elwing.otago.ac.nz> Organization: University of Otago X-Mailer: Mozilla 1.1N (X11; I; OSF1 V3.0 alpha) Mime-Version: 1.0 To: wheeler@ida.org Subject: Lovelace Tutorial X-Url: http://www.adahome.com/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace/s18-1.html Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Status: R Excellent tutorial. I've been studying Ada for 6 months and never grasped much in the lectures. I'm was in a right panic about the end of year exam and the assignments I have to complete before the end of the year. This tutorial explained every-thing really clearly. I feel confident that I can finish the Ada paper I am studying and perhaps pass.

From kbrun@ibm.net Sun Sep 3 15:26:58 1995

Return-Path: <kbrun@ibm.net> From: kbrun@ibm.net Message-Id: <9509031924.AA12138@ida.org> Date: Sun, 03 Sep 95 21:23:34 To: <wheeler@ida.org> Subject: Lovelace X-Mailer: IBM WebExplorer David, I just completed your nice Ada tutorial and found it very useful as a quick 'crash course' of the language. IMHO it is a brilliant idea to include more general sections like those on programming safety and efficiency. The only problem I encountered was that GNAT (at least 2.06 for OS/2) doesn't always raise Constraint_Error exceptions when it should. This is of course not your fault, but I think it would be a good idea to warn GNAT users that they might experience some difference between theory and practice - as long as GNAT is a work in progress. Klaus // Klaus A. Brunner Austria, Europe // <kbrun@ibm.net> 2:313/9.16@fidonet

From wu@ycvax.york.cuny.edu Tue Sep 19 17:10:52 1995

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 17:12:44 EDT From: wu@ycvax.york.cuny.edu To: wheeler@ida.org Message-Id: <00996A3B.993173A0.32@ycvax.york.cuny.edu> Subject: $6.7 Lovelace Dear Mr. Wheeler: I'm using your Lovelace for courses I taught here using GNAT Ada 95. Students were giving hardcopies I prepared for them for these who do not find it convenient to browse on the Web using slow machines in our PC lab. ... Your work in Lovelace is a great time-safer for my teaching here since good text on Ada 95 is still not readily available in book format. Navigating with Lovelace in mind also add much meaning to the Web surfing to many of our students here. Thanks for your work. T. C. Wu (9/19/95) Math & Computer Studies York College, CUNY Jamaica, NY 11451 PS: I already voted Lovelace as the Best of Software on the Internet.

Please note that none of these comments are an official statement by a company or organization; these are simply voluntary comments by generally satisfied users. You can send your own comments to me at wheeler@ida.org. Please tell me if you do not want me to keep such comments private - I normally consider email private, but if the message is only a comment about Lovelace, I presume it's okay to make it public.

If you like Lovelace, please recommend it to others. In particular, please nominate Lovelace for a Best-of-Web/Educational Service Award; you can email nominations to Brandon Plewe at plewe@acsu.buffalo.edu. Also, please recommend Lovelace to any indexes where it's omitted. Lovelace's URL (address) is http://www.adahome.com/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.html.

Information on how you can help expand Lovelace is available.

HOME     You can return to the Lovelace home page.

David A. Wheeler (wheeler@ida.org)