The DMM Range Selector Switches
- The DMM cannot display measurement results across
it's entire range specification on a four or five digit
display without changing the scale that the display is
- So we have range selection switches which allow
us to alter the range of the DMM from displaying voltages
ranging 0 to 1000V, currents from 0 to 10 Amps and
resistances from 0 to 20M Ohms.
- A diagram showing the location of these switches
- If we look at the image on the left hand
side the Range Selection Switches are the
switches circled in RED to the bottom left of the
- Beside each switch there is firstly a
value corresponding to the Maximum
Current , followed by the Maximum
Voltage and the Maximum
Resistance that can be
measured with the DMM on that particular setting.
- And to check which type of reading the
DMM is set up to take we must check the position
of the Mode
Switches and which Input Terminals
are being used.
- If we look at the FLUKE DMM on the left
hand side of the screen we see that there are not
any Range Selector Switches, this is because this
DMM has an automatic range
function which sets the DMM
range and displays this along with the numerical
value of the reading.
- The FLUKE DMM does have the Range button
on the left below the display.
This button can be used to alter the range of the
DMM manually by following the steps below.
- Press the Range Button once to
enter Manual Range operation.
- Repeatedly depress the Range
Button to scroll through the varios Range
- Depress the Range Button for 2
seconds to return to Automatic Range
to DMM Menu
Page maintained by EIE WebMistress
Revised: 15 September 2004